In the beginning

This journey began in the early 90's. I became a grandparent in July of that year and the drive to find out more information about my ancestors was even stronger. I’ve uncovered some amazing people in my tree. So, you would think that after 23 years, what more is there? My husband, who does not share the enthusiasm that I do for researching the dead...is always asking, “Haven't you found everybody by now?” or “There can't be anyone left to find.”  He is so wrong!

As a child and young adult I had always wondered how my families came to be in Louisiana. Who were they and where had they come from. It was 1993 when I walked into the Shreve Memorial Library for the very first time. With very little to go on, I began my search.

It was before the age of the internet. Research was tedious and slow. I remember going to the section of books for Louisiana, looking for the books on the parish I was raised in. Then I went through those books looking for common names that I recognized as my family names. Many hours were spent going through microfilm...looking for census records. 

Slowly a tree began to emerge. With it came the knowledge that I had craved. Then within the first ten years the internet took hold...the information that is out there today is more than we could have ever imagined 20 years ago! 

Throughout the years I’ve gathered many facts, a lot of paper (some of it redundant) and worked on my family tree sporadically. Many times it would be a phone call from a distant relative that would cause me to pull out my files and look at my tree. For a short time period I would start the search once more. Sometimes it would be the death of a relative that would ignite the spark. Then as a few weeks or months past I would get passive again.

Recently I went to a seminar that has done more to create excitement than any other seminar I have attended. Although, I have always come away with great information, it has never inspired me to dig into the tree and really start researching. You see, this seminar was about technology and the internet! The speaker was Lisa Louise Cooke and she is awesome! The knowledge that she gives at her seminars, through her website, her podcast and videos is amazing. So, I’m all fired up…it’s time to organize all that paper I’ve collected over the years, to keep better records through the software that is available and to start searching to break down brick walls! www.lisalouisecooke.com

One of Ms. Cooke's suggestions is to put your information out there in a blog. So that is what I'm attempting here. My hopes are to hopefully make contact with others out there searching for my ancestors. Along the way I also hope that I can help others by sharing what works for me or what I've learned within this ever-growing world of genealogy. 

http://www.familytreemagazine.com/article/best-genealogy-blogs-2015

Thanks for reading and happy hunting!

Ruth


Comments

  1. I'm so thrilled that the seminar inspired you! Congratulations on your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! I am trying to apply the tips you so kindly offered. I've been adding photos, copies of documentation and web links where I can. Please let me know what you think!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Rivers and del Rio Surname Connection

Sam Charles Craig: Through the Eyes of a Daughter!